Holi is one of the most favourite festivals of India. From Amitabh Bachchan to Coldplay, everyone has sung praises of this day, quite literally. While it is obviously about the colors and the gaiety, the next most important reason to celebrate it is the food. Sumptuous food is laid out on the table for everyone to enjoy and every kid has a field day stealing the staple sweets that are made especially on Holi, from the common bowl. While the usual sweets like gujiya and thandai are a must have, we have listed out for you some quirky yet delicious twists that can be given to the usual delicacies and make them even more amazing.
1. Paneer Malpua : Malpua is an Indian pancake which is fried and then dipped in sugar syrup. While the usual malpua only had Khoya in it, it can be made healthier and definitely more interesting by adding paneer to it. The paneer or cottage cheese can be mashed into the khoya and stuffed in the Malpua alond with a little bit of saffron to give a beautiful aroma.
2. Bhaang Ki Pakori : Bhang is considered pure and auspicious as it is believed that Lord Shiva drank this liquid on festivities. While more people make usual thandai or shake out of it, one can make pakodis of it too. The process remains the same with just the addition of Bhang into the batter in small proportions to give the required kick to the day.
3. Mint/Gulkand Thandai : The usual thandai or coolant is made with almond and milk with a little saunf added for the coolant properties. For this day, one can add mint or gulkand to the mix as well. The properties of the drink will improve along with its health benefits.
4. Chocolate Gujiya : Gujiya is a dish from Rajasthan that consists of a refined flour dumpling traditionally stuffed with khoya and dry fruits. To make this dish more interesting the chocolate chips as well as mava is added to the stuffing and then chocolate syrup is drizzled over the final product along with a little cream for garnish.
5. Apple Puran Poli : Apple Puran Poli is a healthy twist to the usual Maharashtrian dish. The apple can be made into a halwa just like carrot halwa and stuffed in the poli or roti to give it a delicious and healthy spin